National Assoc. for the Education of Homeless Children & Youth Scholarship – Deadline 6/17/16
The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) is a national membership association dedicated to educational excellence for children and youth experiencing homelessness. Through state and federal policy and technical assistance to our members, students, and the public, we change systems so all children and youth can learn, succeed academically, and achieve their dreams.
NAEHCY Scholarship Application
How do students apply?
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form;
- An essay about the impact of homelessness on their lives and their desire to attend college (up to 1,500 words; please see essay evaluation criteria listed below);
- An official or unofficial school transcript, include class ranking if available; and
- A minimum of one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or other adult who can speak to the applicant’s qualifications and experiences.
What are the criteria for reviewing the applications?
Students' applications will be evaluated on:
- Demonstrated commitment to education during the experience of homelessness;
- Academic achievement and accomplishments;
- Potential impact of the scholarship for the student’s educational career;
- Discussion of how the scholarship money would be used;
- Statement of goals and career interests; and
- Grammar and use of language.
Applicants should write essays with these criteria in mind. The essay is the most important component of the application; letters of recommendation are also very important.
When is the deadline for the 2016 applications?
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm EDT on Friday, June 17, 2016.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.